Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Chick O'fucking Stick Chocolate Chip Cookies

Embarassingly out of cocoa powder?  Grind up some Chick O Sticks!

My friend Katie Jayne was in town this past weekend for some vegan pub crawl shenanigans.  Since it was her birthday the weekend before, I decided to bake her a little something special.  While I was at Fred Meyer on an errand, I thought "What can I put in her cookies to make them awesome, since she's so awesome"????? 
Walking past the candy aisle, inspiration hit.  Later that night, Ms. Strawberryrock got to stirring, I got to throwing things in the bowl, and Chick O Stick chocolate chip cookies were born.

If you haven't had this candy before (I hadn't before moving to Portland) - think vegan, think the inside of a freaking Butterfinger bar, think coconut, think picking it out of your teeth but it's still worth it, good.  Both Voodoo and Sweetpea feature treats made with this candy - check out glorious Sweetpea layer cake Kt from Sweetpea made for my birthday last year!

The birth process:

Chick O'Fucking Stick Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from the holy Veganomicon, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Romero

2.5-3 cups flour
2/3 cup ground Chick-O-Stick candies (approximately two whole sticks, I ground them in my Magic Bullet)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

2/3 cups canola oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 teaspoons ground flax seeds

1 spoonful creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup soy milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ cup to 3/4 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a large bowl sift together flour, baking soda and salt.

In a separate large bowl mix together oil and sugar. Add the flax, peanut butter, soy milk and vanilla and mix well. 

Fold in the dry ingredients in batches. Use a wooden spoon or your mixer to incorporate the ground Chick o Sticks.  Add more flavor if needed.  Add the chocolate chips gently.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and flatten into a disc that's about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet about an inch apart.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes, then set them on a wire rack to cool completely.  
**In reality we should have added a little more flour - so just add more till the dough looks right, duh.**

The proud mixer

Me and Katie Jayne!

Sure, the cookies have melted down candy in them, but that makes them awesome!


bjorkedoff said...

this is maybe my favourite post of yrs ever.

bjorkedoff said...

even though i secretly hate maeve.

VeganCowGirl said...

There are a million reasons why I love this post!!! Not JUST for the title.....awesome!

Erica said...

Aw! M looks so proud of her stirring job!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I love how orange the batter is! Chick o sticks are of the awesome. I need to buy me some, like, now.

LeAnne said...

I've TOTALLY made chick-o-stick cookies before!!! It was before I started my blog, so I never got to show them off! I took them to work and my boss thought I put carrots in them. She told everyone I made chocolate chip carrot cookies.

herbivore said...

ooohhh man. Those look amazing. I haven't even ever had a chick-o-stick. Sure sounds good!

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

Never had 'em, but these cookies are absolutely brilliant.

Mary said...

I've got to find that candy! I used to love butterfingers! I want those cookies. Oh man...

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

A recipe! Oh, hell yes!

urban vegan said...

I can has chick-o stick???

East Village Vegan said...

Chick-o-sticks. Reminds me of my childhood:) The cookies look great.

sophia said...

you are a fucking GENIUS.

Elyse said...

I've never had chick o'stick, but now I definitely want to try them out. I love the idea of melting them down and putting them into a cookie. Genius! I'm sure these were fabulous bday cookies. Yay!

Wheeler's Crew said...

The cookies look amazing! Great post

strawberryrock said...

Jess, I did so much more than stir. I shaped the cookies! I suggested adding more flour! I put them in the oven, took them out of the oven and removed them from the baking sheet! Sigh!

Sal said...

holy crap, those sound awesome.

Cafe Cyan said...

Dreamy!! I want these cookies NOW!

jrsimon56 said...

Brilliant! I hadn't thought of those in forever...gotta go find some :)