Friday, December 12, 2008

soup stuff.


Tomato, Rice, Roasted Garlic & Navy Bean Soup from 

Made with my old favorite, Muir Glen Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes.  I can recall being 21 living on my own in East Cambridge, MA and first learning to cook - and finding a way to eat these once a week.  They were constantly on sale at Harvest Coop and Whole Foods and I couldn't resist.

These days, I break them out a few times a year for soup or homemade sauce.  Rest assure I haven't broken my old addiction completely and typically have one can in my cabinet.  

This soup recipe is one of my favorites since testing for the cookbook. I typically find myself making half the recipe and it feeds me for many meals.  But then again, I'm not big on leftovers. I'm also an evil person who subs onion powder for onions and adds a bunch of minced garlic.  

16 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Mmm, mmm, good.

(Don't tell Campbell's I just used that).

jessy said...

totally going to have to dig up my copy of vcon & make this soup. it looks awesome and sounds sooooo good! i love me some navy beans & garlic! mmmmmmmmmm! glorious!

Anonymous said...

I was just eyeing this soup, I need something to warm me up!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Mmm, soup!

Ruby Red said...

It is amazing how many recipes we miss because V-con is so massive! The soup sounds incredible -- I looove soups with white beans!

aredcardigan said...

Real soups use real onions & garlic.

Better soups use roasted garlic.

There's just no two ways about it:D

sarchan said...

That soup is so satisfying.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a vegetarian, but if I had to live without meat, this would have to be the way. I don't think I would feel as though I was missing something.
And don't feel bad about using dried spices or flavorings; at least you are not eating soup out of a can!

Tami said...

We love that soup, too. So comforting!

x said...

Mmm, that's some good lookin' soup!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks so tasty!!!

Anonymous said...

Tomatoes and garlic and beans together are so, so good.

Now I want soup. :( Fortunately, I have some very tasty shepherd's pie left in the fridge...

Jen said...

fire roasted tomatoes are the best, and i'm too effin' lazy to fire roast my own.

Bianca said...

I've been eyeing that recipe since I got the book last Xmas. Thanks for reminding me that I really need to hurry up and make it.

DJ said...

OMG - that soup looks like a hug in a bowl. Soooo jealous we don't get the old fire-roasted toms over here!

urban vegan said...

There are so many great recipes in 'Nomicon. Have to put this on my "must try" list.