Tuesday, September 16, 2008

General Gao's Eggplant and Tofu with Basil

For my second-to-last eggplant meal, I broke out the cornstarch, agave, fried, frozen tofu and fresh basil, in addition everything else you see and assume going on in this plate.

I dipped the diced eggplant in cornstarch, then a water/cornstarch slurry, and then flour before quickly cooking in peanut oil.  

After cooking the tofu, vegetables and eggplant separately, I added the sauce.  It was based off the famous Vegweb recipe I posted here
but a less sweet version.  
I added the fresh basil at the end because so many of the dishes I enjoy at Bay Leaf involve a sweet, tangy sauce and fresh basil, and I had some.  
Anyway, it was a grand meal for a stir fry.  Served with black rice, green peppers and celery.

Anyway once again, I'm off to Seattle for business and pleasure starting tomororw until Sunday.  When I return, I will be posting about a Purely Decadent Coconut Ice Cream tasting and my Seattle eats.  I haven't been to Seattle since last year, and I'm stoked.

Will I make it to Squid & Ink?  
How many Mighty-O's will I try?  
Stay tuned.


17 comments:

Kati said...

Ooh have fun in Seattle! I was just craving donuts the other day, so eat some for me, ok?

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Looove eggplant.

Enjoy Seattle!!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Yum! That meal looks delicious! The Purely Decadent Cookie Dough ice cream is divine! I can't wait to try their new Dulce de Leche flavor!

Hope you have a great time in Seattle! :)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I hope it's Pumpkin season at Mighty O for you! yum yum.
This looks SO good.

Unknown said...

eat a mighty-o for me! i'd go back to seattle anyday for a mighty-o.

Chelsea said...

Have a great trip! That stirfry looks so yummy!!!

Jen said...

i've been looking for a different way to serve eggplant. i'm totally jealous about the seattle trip.

Bianca said...

Yum! I'm a sucker for anything battered and deep-fried. Have a great time in Seattle. Eat a Mighty-O donut for us!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That dish looks BETTER than what one might get at a restaurant. Great job!

Laura said...

omg that looks good! i still haven't tried that famous vegweb recipe yet...does that make me a bad vegan?? i hope not :)i am so jealous you are going to seattle--i have yet to have a vegan doughnut!! someday...

Katie said...

If you need any Seattle tour guide/eating buddy i'm your girl. I think Vegan Garden is better, squid and ink is pretty tasty as well as georgetown liquor company (near squid and ink) is a nice stop too. Mighty o has a new cookies and cream one - holy jeesus - it's necessary.

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

can't wait to live vicariously and hear about your vegan eats in Seattle!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

mm mmm, that tofu looks good!!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Ohhhh... I vote for Vegan Garden, and Squid and Ink. And Mighty O is, of course, a "MUST". Maybe more than once.

Wish I could break away from life to eat my way through the city as your tour-guide-chauffer-foodie assistant something-or-other...

Anonymous said...

you MUST stop at cafe flora and for cheap, vegan pizza (THE BEST EVER) is juliano's on capitol hill. it is worth the search, though. they even have an awesome brown rice crust!!!! araya's is an awesome vegan thai restaurant in the u-district and yes, mighty-o's. yum!

Anonymous said...

Yay, this means more Stumptown Vegans updates about Seattle, right? I'm so excited since I'll be visiting there again soon. Hope Vegan Garden is decent, since I was thinking of visiting there as well. Have tons of fun and bring us many gorgeous pictures!

funwithyourfood said...

have you ever used kuzu instead of cornstarch? i'm just curious how it would turn out.. :)

Teddy