Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Out of the Oven.

Roasted Cremini Mushrooms.

New Seasons had local, organic creminis on sale at $2.99/lb, so there I was, filling a bag. These were roasted at 425F with balsamic vinegar, a touch of olive oil, coarse sea salt and sliced garlic.

Double Apple Cake, from The Urban Vegan.

I made this with homemade apple sauce and McIntosh apples, all thanks to the Portland Apple Festival. I want to hug the spices in this. So. Autumn.


Whole wheat pizza.

Last week, I made pizza with homemade marinara, spinach, black & kalamata olives, FYH Mozzarella and a little shredded Melty White Cheezly.

I'd heard talk of FYH recently improving their formula and melting being easier than ever. I've been lucky with the majority of my FYH melting attempts over the years (psst, spritzing with oil or water can help), and it's been my long standing go-to, dependable soy cheese. How wild is the availability of nondairy cheeses these days!?! Cough, cough, when I was younger, I remember buying expensive blocks of FYH from Lifethyme in NYC and taking them on the Fung Wah bus with me back to Boston, before there was anywhere in that city that carried it... This is back when my college cooking repertoire included 123s and Chreese, fire roasted tomato sauce, TLTs, pizza and take out, basically.

I really liked my delightfully spoiled-vegan combination of soy cheeses on this pizza. I think Cheezly attempts to capture the aged cheese taste better than any brand I've had, and for that I applaud it. I'm not into it plain, but melted, it's tasty paired with other components.

14 comments:

Janessa said...

Those roasted mushrooms look delicious. I've never thought of doing that. Some of those with a little mashed potatoes and seitan--yum!

chriesi said...

Those mushrooms look gorgeous!

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

was the cake good with macintosh apples? I saw this pillsbury baking guide (yes, i know pillsbury ew) about apples and which varieties were best for different things and macintosh were rated not recommended for baking. i was shocked. macintosh apples are soo good. the only way i could see them being bad is if you left the skin on for baking..harm.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Kuntrageous - I've always liked using McIntosh in baking, but I've heard that some advise against it, I think it's a texture thing. No big.

Katie said...

The cheesy pizza looks great! It looks so realistic. :)

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Jess, what's your ultra-fave cheese? I need some insider info. I've only had FYH cheddah, but I'm in the market for ordering some other kinds.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love roasted mushrooms, so tasty!
The cake looks great too, I really want to get my hands on that cookbook.
-K

The Voracious Vegan said...

WOW! That pizza looks SO delicious! And I adore roasted mushrooms, they are so simple and just perfect.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Trinity - Give FYH and Teese Mozzerella a try, I think they're the tastiest of the bunch.

I enjoy Scheese as is, especially the gouda and smoked flavor, but I don't think it's word the price.

I'm really not enthusiastic for Daiya at all.

Anonymous said...

i wish we had cremini mushrooms in aus. or maybe we do but i can't find them...

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I was just saying the same thing about vegan cheeses. I had to order from Pangea to get FYH back in the day. I love that I have multiple choices at many stores, some of them even major national chains!

That pizza looks bomb explosive, yo.

Andrea said...

Everything looks delicious, but the mushrooms - they look fabulous.

TSK Fotboll said...

So yummy. What was the desired drink?

esta pagina said...

Thank you for the article, very worthwhile material.