Thursday, September 25, 2008

Anatomy of a Grocery Trip: Trader Joe's and more

First off, Trader Joe's makes their own Vegan Soy Chorizo!  Zing! $1.99!  Granted, I haven't been to TJ's in quite a while, so it was new to me, so bear with me for jubilantly hoping to spread the word.

I first tried El Burrito Soyrizo at Taqueria Los Gorditos in SE Portland, and have purchased it a few times for home burrito and nacho making.  The Trader Joe's branded item is probably the same product rebranded, or close enough, and $1.50+ cheaper than what I've paid for the real deal.  I cooked it in olive oil with sweet corn and black beans, and made tacos.

I also picked up flax spaghetti that I ate with homemade purple basil marinara last night, firm tofu, baby carrots, peppermint toothpaste, black beans, baby spinach, castle soap, tortilla chips, olive oil, sliced black olives, and a few pieces of produce, bulk herbs and tea from Limbo next door.  When traveling to TJ's, I have the option of hitting up my precious Limbo in SE, or going to Hollywood and running around Grocery Outlet.  Grocery shopping is fun times.

I really will discuss Seattle in my next post.  Thanks for the Monterey and San Jose tips!

FYI, Veganopolis closed in downtown Portland yesterday.  The owners are moving back to Chicago and working on a cookbook.   I was never a big fan of the food, even working downtown as I do, let alone the drama that surrounded the owners, but it's still sad to lose an all vegan eatery anywhere.  
I went on Monday for the lunch buffet and for a muffin on Tuesday.

Pasta buffet with roasted tomatoes, broccoli and tempeh bacon:

And one last spelt chocolate chip cookie.  
I used to love these, this one was sadly on the dry side.  


16 comments:

donesmoking said...

Trader Joe's makes their own Vegan Soy Chorizo? Thanks for the info!

I haven't been their in a while either but I really hope my local one has it.

DeepCerulean said...

I found the TJ's soy chorizo on my last trip and I almost wet myself. It isn't quite as good as Soyrizo, but it's very close. The only real "issue" I see with it is that it doesn't like to stay together as well as soyrizo did. Not that it bothers me 'cause I usually crumble them anyway.

Taqueria Los Gorditos has been pissing me off lately...the last 3 times I've gone they've been out of Soyrizo. We used to go on a regular basis, but I got sick of trying so we haven't been in a couple months.

Jenn said...

dang that's a lot of plastic packaging. I avoid TJ's like the plague because I can't stand the thought of purchasing veggies encased in plastic.

I feel guilty about buying seitan sausages (and am giving it up) because of the non-recyclable plastic, and there's a new Japanese deli where I can buy fresh tofu without packaging (I just have to go on the weekend).

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Oh, how I love Trader Joe's! I agree that grocery shopping is a lot of fun. I haven't tried the soy chorizo yet, but I think you're right about it being a different brand w/ TJ's packaging. I've been told that their vegan pizza is repackaged Amy's, so that makes sense. I have the same castile soap sitting on my desk here at work (much less harsh than our bathroom soap and I have sensitive skin). :)

Unknown said...

dang, I never even went to Veganopolis. Can't say I feel cheated, though, but you're right, it's still sad...

VeganView said...

I rarely shop at TJ's beacuse about 90% of things I buy are from Whole Foods. I love the unique things at Trader Joes, unfortunately I have found when I really start to like something they stop carrying it! They use to have these morning soy sausage patties I loveddd and bam one day they just went away. At mine, they do have a delish vegan pizza like Amy's but wayyy cheaper and some vegan fried rice thing I liked. I heart grocery shopping :)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I've been wondering about the Soyrizo at TJ's. My guess was it was the one by Melissa's because they carry her other items. I suppose I'll just have to try it!

Anonymous said...

Trader Joe's seems to be almighty sometimes, don't you think?
But awww. :( I didn't know Veganopolis closed down!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hooray for Trader Joe's!!!! Love that place.

Chelsea said...

I recently discovered the cheap soyrizo and have used it alot.

Nature Bake now offers their cookies at Trader Joes in TJ packaging. Careful, they are not all vegan as before. Some still are though.

Last time I shopped at TJs I was told by the cashier you can get a list from their website of all their vegan items. Good to know.

Anonymous said...

I just tried that vegan soyrizo from trader joe's and it tasted exactly like the soyrizo taco i had in san diego, the most "authentic" mexican food north of the borders (so san diegans claim!). totally awesome, totally cheaper than the real thing!

susan said...

trader joe's is awesome.
ur post is proof :)

kmouse said...

TJ Soy Chorizo! O my god, YES!

Jen said...

there's a TJ on the north end of indianapolis....looks like i'm gonna have to make a trek up there. btw, i'm amazed b-town doesn't have a TJ, but we do have a pretty decent food co-op.

funwithyourfood said...

are those cookies gluten free??

Chelsea said...

I love TJ's. My most favorite thing is the cheap-ass bag of 4 avocados! 2nd place is a tie between olive oil and wine. You can see where my priorities are - gimme the fat! haha