Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Eating at work.

I try to specifically make enough food for leftovers, and/or grab greens with me for steaming or salads to eat at work during the week. Fortunately, we have a spacious fridge, kitchen table, toaster oven, microwave and plates to work with. Ever notice blue plates here? Totally not mine.
Today I ate instant wild mushroom cous cous (Mmmm Near East!) and round two of the salad mixture below for lunch. I do dine out on a regular basis, particularly when a meal can last me more than one lunch's worth of food or I can share it. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for leftovers, and sometimes I remember I left my lunch at home while on my way to work - that 'oh mannnnnnnnnnn' moment (especially when I recall something great like chickpea cutlets, just sitting.in.the.fridge). My lunch staple is definitely soups - particularly this time of year. I like to make a batch on Sunday evening, and then enjoy it's savory warmth for the next 3+ days. The Creamy Tomato soup from Veganomicon is certainly in store soon.

So far this week, my lunches have featured this salad with romaine lettuce, purple cauliflower, tamari roasted chickpeas and green bell pepper :

On Monday I dined on Saturday night's leftovers: chickpea cutlets and mushroom gravy:

A surprise on my work kitchen table!

Ow, ow! Field Roast sent me some goods! More on them to come.

White truffle pate, lentil sage loaf and celebration roast.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh lucky you! You got a Celebration Roast! I was going to pick up the 1 pound loaf at Whole Foods for Thanksgiving but quickly changed my mind when I saw the $14 price tag! I just couldn't do it. I have more people to feed than two!

BTW, I Love your blog. :)

Sarah P said...

I've been hearing a lot of recommendations regarding the field roasts - worth a try?

Unknown said...

im huge on leftovers for lunch. and Near East Rocks!

the purple cauliflower is so bright.

esme said...

urgh! i tried to find the celebration roast at my whole foods and they didn't have it! bah! lucky.

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of celebration roast but it sounds quite interesting.

I too take leftovers for lunch and the chickpea cutlets are soooo good!

Ashasarala said...

You're lucky they provide you with a toaster oven! All we have here are crappy, smelly microwaves. I'm already wary of microwaves as it is (the radiation thing freaks me out) but they really do stink to boot!

Instead I have to make cold dishes in bulk every week. Oh, well. Warm dinners suffice.

n/a said...

Wow, that was nice of them to send that to you - let us know how it is!

Shananigans said...

I bring a salad and dinner leftovers or soup for lunch just about every day. No veg freindly places to grab lunch out in small-town WI.

Lucky you indeed. I'm still debating what I want to do for my veggie protein on T-giving. I'm the only one who'll be eating it so I could just make some chickpea cutlets.

That purple cauliflower is so cool looking!

Anonymous said...

How awesome! I tried to pick up the Celebration Roast last week and they didn't have any. I was really sad. Your salad is so beautiful and colorful. Adding the roasted chick peas is a wonderful idea.

SaraJane said...

omg. I have only had the celebration roast and absolutely love it. I can't wait to hear how the other things taste. I can't find those in Canada, so I'll have to enjoy it vicariously through you.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear what you think of the Field Roast products...I have never had them before, but I have stood in the store contemplating them more times than I can count!

Courtney

Kate said...

Good to see you get to bring awesome food that you made to work, your coworkers must get jealous, I know I would be!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

That purple cauliflower is just too gorgeous!! I can't get over it!!

I can't even begin to express just how envious I am of you, receiving the Field Roast products - I LOVE the Celebration Roast, and my Whole Foods stopped carrying it :0(