Thursday, August 30, 2007

BBQ Baked Tempeh and Roasting

Proper Eats BBQ tempeh sandwich.

proper eats bbq tempeh sandwich
This sandwich of such succulent, tender tempeh, this tangy addictive sauce is just so good, I was inspired to make something similar of my own...

What I did:
  • I bought half a block of tempeh from Proper Eats, and cut off three pieces.
  • I boiled the pieces for 8 minutes, drained & sprayed with Bragg's Liquid Aminos
  • Then, I baked the pieces in a lightly oiled casserole dish with about 1/2 cup of bbq sauce for 20 minutes at 375F.
  • I then added 1/4 more of sauce, threw on some chopped bell pepper, increased the heat to 400F and baked for an additional 15-20 minutes.
  • Removed from the oven and cooled a couple minutes..
served with roasted broccoli, caulifower and french greens beans with garlic, drizzled with nacho sauce from the Uncheese cookbook (currently out again from the library) and smoky collard greens.

bbq bbq bbq

bbq bbq bbq

Some more roastin': purple, red and yukon gold potatoes with rice bran oil, fresh rosemary and whole garlic cloves

August 2007 012

Roasted red bell peppers - waiting to star in risotto.

fresh farmer's market red bell peppers..roasted

15 comments:

Taylor said...

What does boiling do to tempeh? I've never done it, or heard of a recipe that called for it.

Unknown said...

That sandwich looks AWESOME...

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Taylor - boiling the tempeh takes a way some of the 'bitter' flavor people associate with it. I did it because not only was my tempeh frozen prior to making this dish, but I also wanted it to be tender.

Kayla said...

Oh, yum. Portland is awesome, and I'm jealous. Your recreation looks pretty awesome, too. Oh, and pretty potatoes.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Sounds like a winner! Everything's better with bbq sauce. Thanks for posting your tempeh bbq recipe! Sounds easy and tasty...

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

wow, that sandwich!! what a beauty!! I wish I could taste it, haha. I have never been to Portland, but with all of those great Stumptown restaurant reviews, I really need to head out there soon!! Oh, and those potatoes and red pepper are gorgeous :0)

MeloMeals said...

Wow... that sandwich looks amazing.. and I love your recreation.
Can't wait to hear more about the risotto..

Anonymous said...

I've been craving BBQ lately for some weird reason. I do have some frozen tempeh just hanging out. Hmmmm...I wonder if I have BBQ sauce.

Anna said...

Gah! That tempeh pic is killing me! I reckon your version looks even tastier than the restaurant one. Gotta try this soon...

laura k said...

Yum, I love roasting. Those blistery skins are making my tummy rumble!

Gosh, I guess it's been a little while since I stopped by your blog. I love the layout!

Kate said...

Everything looks really amazing. Yum yum.

bazu said...

I'm practically about to cry because that sandwich exists somewhere in the world and I can't have it. wah wah wah!

Elizabeth said...

Hey, you were in our part of town! We've only just recently discovered Proper Eats. Good stuff! Oh, I just read there's another vegan restaurant that just opened up--even closer to where we live--called Nutshell, on N. Williams. Haven't tried it....let me know if you do and how it is, and vice versa. :-)

Unknown said...

Nice blog, and cool design, like Kirai's one!

Besos from Spain :-)

urban vegan said...

drool. drool.

I bet EVERYONE wants to be your friend, Jess ;)