Friday, June 08, 2007

Seattle!

Ah, yes. Mighty-0 Donuts.
A glazed, cinnamon sugar, and a german chocolate donut. It's lovely to have some variety!

As I mentioned in my last post, during my trip up in Washington, we went to the all vegan Teapot Vegetarian House and adored it. I felt the atmosphere, overall quality and presentation of the food were all pretty top notch. My favorite parts were the seitan satay from our appetizer plattern, our tapioca dessert and my main course. We were both altogether a bit underwhelmed with the flavors in the other appetizers, but the presenation was still impressive. And at least now we know which specific one to order next time. There *will* be a next time.

Overall, I love that Seattle feels like a big city that begs to be explored, and yes, we contemplate moving there (but not for some time). Onto more food and some sights...

Gula Malacca, a traditional Malay dessert, veganized.

From the menu: "Tapioca pearls marinated in a brown sugared coconut syrup, topped with a dollop of coconut sorbet and soy whipped cream, sprinkled with crushed peanuts". Our specific dessert had a mocha flavor as well, and no whipped cream.



The bobo platter with satay skewers (yes on a fire!), spring rolls, wontons, sugarcane drum sticks and tofu rolls.


Served with three dipping sauces - one was warm and sweet, a peanut sauce and a tangy sesame dip.


Tommy's entree - the Mandarin crispy tofu with brown rice.


My entree - the Vietnamese crispy, fried wide rice noodles and vegetables. I have never had noodles like this and didn't know it was possible - I quite enjoyed it - full reviews will be up soon on Stumptown Vegans, if you're interested in reading more~


Firemens' status in Pioneer Square, downtown.


Downtown.

Once again, we hit up the Globe cafe for breakfast right after my meeting on our second day. We both had the Biscuits & Gravy with Broiled Tofu and shared a side of per-fect-ly roasted potatoes. We also picked up some Mighty-o donuts and a cinnamon roll to go, most of which is currently tempting me on our kitchen table.


Dear Portland: you think YOU have hills??

On Denny Way, heading to the Experience Rock Museum.


Jimi Hendrix statue.

Peaking through the trail in downtown Bellevue - Whole Foods to the rescue for breakfast!

From the very start of the trip - we both picked up field roast 'steak' sandwiches from Backspace Cafe on our wait for the train. They came with a side field greens salad with balsamic vinegarette.

In short, Seattle is fantastic and it's time I started planning the next trip~

18 comments:

PamelaCooks said...

I can't look away from the donuts...I might pee myself.

Taylor said...

Nice! I'd love to make it to Seattle one day.

Anonymous said...

denny hill's a bitch, yo. i was there for bumbershoot and took a bus up the hill and we were wondering if the very full bus was going to make it up the hill.
i need to go on a food excursion to seattle some time...

Briggitte said...

Hopefully ill be transfering to seattle univ. in a year or so I cant wait to try all the good vegan places it looks like they have alot of variety

Vegan_Noodle said...

Looks like a fun trip with good food! I love Seattle, I'm so jealous of my sis who gets to actually live there. So who wins, the Mighty-O or VooDoo donuts?

Anonymous said...

my ..... im drooling like crazy!

KleoPatra said...

i just do fancy Seattle so much. i love your adventures... and those hills, i remember them well! There are so many fab places to eat that are veg there and just a lot of great views, cool peeps and fun parks to relax in... What a fun trip, lovin' the variety of vegan donuts. Life is GOOD!!

Anonymous said...

I've been making the Mac & Cheese from the New Farm cookbook for quite a while now and have always cringed at the amount of fat it calls for. I tried your lower-fat version tonight. I added about 2 Tbsp of mustard and for the breadcrumbs, I used half whole wheat bread and half panko. It turned out delicious. I doubled the recipe so we have tons of leftovers but I like that because I don't have to cook as frequently.

n/a said...

Everything looks delicious and you captured the greatest photos!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

vegan_noodle - In the war of vegan donuts, I have to give it to Mighty-o, mostly because they have different 'batters', unlike voodoo. Although voodoo wins for topping creativity (hello, chic-o-sticks!) all of their donut cake itself is the same flavor. Plus, Mighty-o glazed donuts sorta remind me of Entemen's crumb donuts, and that's just good.

Good luck on transferring, briggitte!

Vivacious - Thanks for the update on the mac and cheez delight! I just saw the full fat one posted on Fueled by popcorn and have been thinking about making some more (lower fat) myself..

Celia said...

Those donuts are mighty tasty, I must say.

Just a question: You meant the EMP (Experience Music Project) right?

Dori said...

Oh my gosh, the bobo platter! Absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing the great pictures.

Kati said...

Must...get...to...Seattle...how can you stand to leave a city with a vegan donut shop?? The bobo platter looks excellent - I love big sampler plates like that.

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmm...the bobo platter!

shaun.marie said...

no fair, you got the bobo platter?! it looks like you had a grand time, i need my donut fix now....

shaun.marie said...

oops - i forgot to add... where is backspace cafe? is it in portland? the link doesn't work!! all i see is a sandwich covered in pepperoncinis, therefore i must have it!!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Ah... Now you have a small idea why I love this town so much!

OMG, the bobo platter at Teapot is a meal in itself. But since the rose drumsticks are my kids' favorites, we end up fighting over which appetizer to order... all of it is lovely!

And Mighty-O. Your pictures pretty well sum up the experience.

esme said...

god, i LOVED the globe. those rosted poatoes were amazing~ i can't believe we missed mighty-o, though. oh well, next time!