Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Sweet Apple (Coconut) Pancakes

Sweet Apple (Coconut) Pancakes
(adapted and halved from this recipe on vegweb)

1 ¼ cups flour (I used whole wheat pastry)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups nondairy milk or water (I used rice milk)
Dash cinnamon
1 tablespoon maple syrup
½ tablespoon agave nectar

1 chopped apple into small pieces (sweet is best [even for us tart apple fans], I use Golden Delicious, preferably)
Optional: 1/3 cup shredded coconut flakes (I usually keep a container in the freezer)
§ In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, including coconut, if using. I like coconut, my boyfriend does not, so I add it to the batter after I make a couple pancakes.
§ In a small bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (excluding apple).
§ Gently stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients in the large bowl until ‘just mixed’. Stir in the apple last. Warning: do not overmix, this causes heavy pancakes.
§ Let sit 15 minutes.
Oil your large flat pan with canola oil, set to medium heat and use a ladle to spoon batter.
Spoon the batter size-wise to your preference (I like the challenge of flipping big pancakes), and let bubble all over, gently check an edge to see if it’s dark enough, and flip. I use two spatulas for big pancakes.
Cook opposite side for about the same amount of time. Remove from pan when lightly/medium brown both sides.
If you’re waiting for all the pancakes to be finished to dine, set your oven to 250 F or so and set pancakes on cookie tray when done. Garnish with additional chopped apple if desired, and enjoy with desired syrup~

In my opinion, these pancakes aren't as light as the VWAV ones, both they are still delicious and cakey. However, my boyfriend said he liked these better.


Harmonia said...

With the code on my blog you should be able to copy and paste then where it says here's what I have to contribute you type whatever you wish.

Spread the word!

Webly said...

YUM! I made cherry coconut pancakes the other night for dinner. this reminds me of those good times!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Harmonia - thank you! I will keep this in mind.

Webly - You have reminded me I have a bag of dried cherries or that I used a bag of dried cherries and forgot about them. Either way, thank you I have cabinets to sort through.