(design and craving are directly inspired by Webly)
I tried to fight the urge, but I made cookies for Valentine's Day. First off, we're having cake tommorow at work for my coworker's birthday that I'm opting out of. My boss still thinks it's nuts bakeries don't carry vegan cakes, which is sweet. Truthfully, many supermarket and bakeries carry vegan cakes in Portland, but not hers. Regardless, I'm not upset, I prefer to bake anyway.
Secondly, my boyfriend I have conflicting schedules tommorow and will not see each other - woe is us, but we're 'celebrating' this weekend, going out to a new vegetarian restaurant.
I decorated them with melted dark and the last of my vegan white chocolates (dyed pink!)
- 1 cup of margarine
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups flour (I used whole wheat pastry)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2. Cream margarine and sugar very, very well.
3. Add vanilla.
4. Add flour and salt, slowly.
5. When well incorporated and forming a light brown dough, roll into a ball and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, to overnight. I refrigerated for 25 minutes, and it was absolutely fine to use. 6. Flour surface and rolling pin, and roll out a 1/4 of the dough out a time, to the best of your surface's length. Cut out using cookie cutters of choice. I shifted my round biscuit cutter (aw) into an attempt at a heart~
7. Bake until the edges begin to brown, 6-10 minutes. Keep an eye on it, depending on how thick you roll the dough. I baked mine for about 8-10 minutes.
I made ganaches of 1/8-1/4 cup soymilk, scalded and then added 1/2 cup of chips (two separate pots, same actions) and stirred constantly on medium and then scatter-decorated the cookies after they came out of the oven. Do this one at a time if logical need be! I did pink-'white' chocolate, then dark chocolate, and then more pink.
I also wasn't patient enough to do more than one pan of hearts and put the rest in an 8 inch cake pan, covered with coconut and baked for 12-15 minutes, covered in leftover chocolate and chocolate sprinkles. I then sliced it~