Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Chickpea success

8+ cups of soaked chickpea-nessCreamy roasted garlic/super garlic hummus..it was inevitable, and probably the first of more than one batch I'm making this week. This was drizzled with olive oil.



Chickpeas, broccoli, spinach & olive oil, garlic and crushed red pepper
I wanted to use the chickpeas, and realllly wanted pasta (it's been over a week and a half!) - and I figured I'd work in this tiny can of organic tomato sauce (the only Del Monte at the store was organic, and not pricey!) into a dish...I can't even remember why I bought it in the first place. Bionature was my pasta of choice when I studied abroad in the Netherlands and got fed up with the same dining hall food and back then (2002) I really didn't know how to cook much else.


Our new knife! We purchased it on sale at Mirador this past weekend. Yes, that's my crappy cutting board feeling useful.

7 comments:

Harmonia said...

Do you know of a brand of vegan gnocci?

Emily said...

Are you storing the chickpeas in the fridge? I froze some, but now that I got my food processor (it arrived this morning!) I think I'll need to defrost them and make some hummus.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Harmonia- Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby?

Emily- So far the chickpeas are in the fridge, I'm hoping by doing so I'll remember to eat them...but I was thinking about freezing them. Do they change texture? Can I just keep them in the same tupperware? Enjoy the new food processor!

Emily said...

I'm not sure- apparently they are fine to freeze. I got the suggestion from Dreena actually.

vegancore said...

You know, I love chickpeas and I love garlic but I don't really like hummus. I think it's the texture. I'd like to try making a super-chunky hummus sometime.

That's a sweet knife you've got there. I'm jealous. :)

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Vegancore- I have to be in the mood for hummus myself, and it has to be very garlicky. I differ between preferring chunky or smooth hummus.

amygeekgrl said...

oh hummus, how i love thee. :)
how long do you soak the chickpeas? i know i should start buying them that way instead of canned. so much cheaper.
i really need a nice LEFT-HANDED knife. all our nice knives say not for lefties and, you guessed it, i'm a leftie.