Wednesday, October 21, 2009

More...Vegan....Donuts

I know, right?

All the way in far out SE Portland....er, SE 29th and Powell, across from Hopworks Urban Brewery.

In a strip mall! The location warmed my suburban raised, all-vegan heart.

Not a far off walk in my neck of the woods. Acme Donuts apparently realized most of their donuts were nearly vegan, so they went for it. There were at least six different types of vegan donuts on their shelves, it seemed like 3/4 of their offerings were marked vegan.

I went with Maple Glazed and Berry Filled. Honestly, all their donuts were cute but were flatter than you normally see, like, almost deflated. I was raised on big, bold Dunkin Donuts in New York, and yeah, I measure everything against 'em. But hey, I dig homemade, cute's good.

Maple Glazed and Berry Filled.

The Berry filled was dusted with a coat of powdered sugar and lightly filled with a moist, sherbert-like berry filling. Personally, I'm not enthusiastic for jelly donuts and I remember eating around the filling as a child when faced with one. My favorite part here was the filling. Yes, sherbert-like: it wasn't stuffed with jam or crappy jelly, but a dollop of creamed jam? Something like that. I liked it. See below!

The dough looked like it was going to have some spice, such as cinnamon or nutmeg, in it, but I didn't taste any. That would have been something! It tasted more like an airy, soft roll than a donut, to be honest.
Fortunately, not greasy or yeasty, two things vegan donuts can be guilty of.

The maple glazed had a similar dough feel and taste, but the icing was delightful. Just look at that thick, maple icing. I mean, put that on pizza and someone would eat it.

Berry.

I know, I like to picture Portland as all parks and coffeeshops, but it can look like this!

Look for a full review in the future on Stumptown Vegans, after our resident donut expert stops by, too!

9 comments:

Katie said...

Gimme. Vegan. Donuts. NOW! :D

anthony said...

I cannot wait for portland's bounty of vegan donuts. Best reason to move to a city ever.

Erik Marcus said...

Awesome post. I should make a policy to not read any PDX blogs. I get way too jealous of the vegan offerings!

Abby Bean said...

Ever tried Vegan Treats donuts? Boston Creme, glazed, and even a better (i.e., more chocolatey) version of the Entenmann's chocolate covered; they hit the nail on the head every time.

Unknown said...

Abigail - I tried a Vegan Treats donut a few years ago from Atlas, I find it tough, but I hear they've come a far away since then! We're pretty spoiled with Voodoo in PDX though..

Debra said...

I so miss Portland! I lived there 13 years ago- now it looks like it is the place to be for vegans!
Check out the vegan cookbook giveaway on my blog
Debra @ Vegan Family Style

Abby Bean said...

I'd read some bad reviews of Voodoo, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Long Island Mister Donut texture I grew up on: delicious. Mighty O's are also pretty incredible (and cheap!), but VT still wins for me on taste, variety, & authenticity. Hmm, never had a "tough" one. I'll keep trying in the name of research!

Unknown said...

THANK GOD Portland is not all parks and coffee shops!! that would get so boring.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Good lord. You guys win.