Thursday, October 30, 2008

the girl behind the blog.

Please excuse this interruption from the regularly scheduled Get Sconed! brand of vegan-food-obsessed posts for an artistic glance at the girl behind it all.
Can you believe I'm doing this?  Really, I've had a few photos I've almost added now and then and held back because this blog is about food, not me!, but what the hell.  The meal I made last night was photographed in the dark so I'll just throw it at the end of the post for good measure.

I'll start with the  artistic representation of myself and a Sweetpea cupcake by the lovely Evan (aka Rayray) of Bjorked Off!
It's from a 2007 cupcake drawing series, which also included cupcakes with Isa Chandra Moskowtiz, Terry Romero, Jay Z and Katie Jane of Sweetpea Baking.  I was so, so honored. Check out more of the series on Evan's flickr - as well as millions of photos of  peanut butter centric creations.
Jess
Chocolate Cupcake with Strawberry Frosting
Sweetpea Bakery Portland, OR 

Here's the aforementioned, adorable Katie Jane of Sweetpea and myself hitting up 
VooDoo Donuts on a Tuesday evening.  
She went maple, I went coconut.  
So you can see what I really look like.

Oh, she's on the right, I'm on the left.

And the foodz: Kung Pao Seitan with peppers and peanuts over quinoa.

The sauce was based on a recipe from the Whole Soy cookbook.  Far too sweet.

Tune into tomorrow for the final day of the Vegan Month of Food 2008!  

Don't be too excited.  It just may be about the white bean and red pepper soup I made for lunch today.

14 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm the first one to comment, for serious!

I had no idea you were so adorable! Wait, have I seen you around town?

btw, I love this post.

Unknown said...

I have always thought you were super cute! Great drawing :)

Tami said...

You are adorable and so is Katie! What cool artwork from RR4.

Soup sounds good to me....

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

aw, thanks you guys.


Michelle - you act like being first on this blog is a big deal! totally, not I assure you!

JohnP said...

That photo of you and Katie is altogether too cute!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Hehe, you are really attacking those doughnuts and I don't blame you! You guys are so cute!

APLACEFORUS said...

I have something for you on my give and take entry..
:)
Thanks for all the great things you post here, you are inspiring so many people everyday!
Mel

Karla said...

i have done a total off 11 posts for October...not many, but more than i thought i would do at least. i am planning on doing one more tomorrow....

this picture only shows 1/2 your face! cheater...

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you, Jess! Evans picture is fantastic. She's super talented.

Eric said...

Wow that Kung Pao seitan looks sooooo delicious. I'm the biggest sucker for kung pao.

And those donuts.....looks like you two are enjoying every last bite!

allularpunk said...

donuts and cupcakes and awesomeness abound. i have that whole soy cookbook..it's pretty 'meh', huh? though i admit there is ONE recipe in there that i really love. i can't help it.

Almost Vegetarian said...

Oh, how I adore Voodoo Donuts. I'm fairly sure we got a penis with sprinkles last time we were there.

(Of course, it could have been a man in a hat with sprinkles - so difficult to tell in dough!)

I managed to get you back into my blogroll. You used to be there, so damned if I can figure out where you went. But you're back so until technology goes all funny on me, that's where you'll stay.

Cheers!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Fun! Adorable!

generalpervaizmusharraf said...

Pretty helpful material, thanks so much for the article.