Monday, April 21, 2008

Heart of Tofu

I could start out this post inserting 'tofu' into cutesy love songs that include the word 'heart', but I'm not that type of gal. Well, Blondie's 'Heart of Glass' is in my head right now but tofu just isn't fitting in.

I've done the cookie cutter tofu thing before over the past few years, and have also done so with the infamous chickpea cutlets before baking, and it just felt right the other night.

I took my block of fresh firm tofu from Ota, drained it, pressed it, carefully sliced it, whipped out the heart-shaped cookie cutter (which actually used to be a circle), put it in some VWAV/Veganomicon Italian marinade and then baked.


Sesame seeds were added during the last 10 minutes of cooking. I've been enjoying them a lot lately. The baked tofu is served with some more chickpea quinoa pilaf (with white and cranberry beans) and some kale raab I cooked in the extra Italian marinade.

21 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Haha, you made me laugh out loud about inserting 'tofu' in the song lyrics ;0)

The tofu hearts are simply stunning!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

It looks like I need to bust out my cutters!

urban vegan said...

I <3 tofu.

JENNA said...

i love it! i'm cookie cutting my next block.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! Maybe I can even get my honey to try tofu this way :)

Anonymous said...

I've never even though of using cookie cutters! Great idea! I think I have a heart shaped cookie cutter as well! yes!!!

erica said...

cranberry beans?!?!

Unknown said...

erica - I bought them dried from the PSU farmer's market in a mix!

Bianca said...

Love it! I've never even thought about using cookie cutters for tofu, but that's a great idea. Something I might think about for special holiday meals...when someone besides me will be sharing.

herbivore said...

Cuteness. That is such a good Idea. I should make fish and ice cream tofu (haha, thats so not vegan)

Animal-Friendly said...

How adorable! I now have the sudden urge to use cookie cutters next time I make tofu (even though they may end up pumpkin or reindeer shaped....)

julie hasson said...

You are so cool and clever Jess!! I love your heart shaped tofu.

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

heart tofu. what a great idea!

funwithyourfood said...

hahaha blondie's 'heart of tofu' aint working for you??
adorable- of course, you know that ;)

Teddy

DJ said...

Aww - so cute!

Anonymous said...

Ah that's so cute! That'd be a great and atypical valentine's day dish XD

Cookie cutters definitely makes eating fun!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

That looks so delicious. Hmmm... I have a martini glass cookie cutter, wonder how that would work?

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Aww those look so cute! And delicious, too :)

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

lisa, I'd love to see martini'd fu!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Jess, I made Tofu 'Tinis! Thanks for the inspiration. You can check them here: http://showmevegan.blogspot.com/2008/04/tofu-tinis.html

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea for your tofu!