Monday, April 14, 2008

Brinner

I rarely make breakfast for dinner, so this was a fun Friday eve-ning, let me tell you.

Tempeh bacon, tofu scramble, tangerine and toasted fat free english muffin



The tofu scramble consisted of:
tofu that was lightly marinaded in tamari
julienned carrots
kale
chard
black beans
garlic
nutritional yeast
lemon juice
olive oil (mister)
white and maiitake mushrooms
dried thyme
dried oregano
minced garlic
crushed red pepper &
fresh chopped basil

I like to add the garlic in at the end of the scramble, right before I finally add the chopped basil.

Shot 2.

I find myself breaking out the tofu scramble action come spring and summer, a great way to utilize eclectic farmer's market purchases, not to mention a fairly quick meal.

Speaking of farmer's markets, here is my haul this week:

Baby bok choy, apples, kale raab, roasted hazelnuts and morel mushrooms.

Plus, a wood-fired poppyseed bagel for breakfast from Tastebud Farms.

18 comments:

bazu said...

brinner! yes! I'm also partial to brunch, linner, and supfast (leftover supper for breakfast!) That bagel looks so lovely.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Haha, I LOVE the term "brinner" - definitely sounds better than "deakfast" ;0)

Poppyseed bagels = divine.

Bianca said...

My mom used to cook breakfast for dinner a lot when I was a kid...it was one of my favorite things! Granted, that was when I ate eggs, but even my omni mom loves tofu scramble now.

aTxVegn said...

I've never encountered kale raab. Is it a west coast veggie?

Anonymous said...

roasted hazelnuts? mmmmm! i must seek those out on saturday. i still need to get myself to the market...i am anxiously awaiting the wednesday one so i can go on my lunch hour! yay!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I love breakfast for dinner! kale raab?! never heard of it!

Anonymous said...

Breakfast for dinner has always been my favorite! My mom used to make us pancakes and it was the best!

JENNA said...

i want it all! i love breakfast for dinner. right now i really want that bagel above all else for some reason.

Animal-Friendly said...

Breakfast for dinner is probably the best meal ever! Pancakes, tofu scrambles, waffles- you name it! It's a great way to convince my family to eat some vegan pancakes/waffles (they're not quite ready for the tofu scrambles...)

Vaala ◪ said...

Breakfast is my absolute favourite meal of the day (okay, so dessert probably beats it but you don't usually have dessert every day) so sometimes it ends up being eaten 3 times in one day...my favourite thing to do on a bad day!

funwithyourfood said...

I'm a huge binner fan. For some reason my cravings are pretty consistent- dinner for breakfast and breakfast for dinner... I think my body is on permanent opposite day

Teddy

Unknown said...

I just had breakfast for dinner too! Sunday night though. Yum.

Ps: Is it ok for me to link to you on my own food blog? I didn't want to seem creepy & just add you there without letting you know first. ;D

The Voracious Vegan said...

WOW! Now, that is my kind of breakfast, and it is perfect any time of the day or night. Love your blog!

DJ said...

tempeh bacon is just the best, plus that poppy seed bagel looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I love Brinners! We usually have pancakes and tofu scramble... and I recently learned that eating pancakes for dinner on a Friday the 13th will bring good fortune (as in cash!)

;-)

Sam said...

Yum! I'm so jealous of your lovely haul from the farmers' market!

Mikaela said...

Ooo... black beans in the scrambler. Great idea!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

hey guys!

for those who are curious, kale raab is a springtime sprout, of well, kale.

similar to broccoli raab.