Thursday, April 10, 2008

Another Dinner at Nutshell

Thomas and I dined at the all-vegan Nutshell again recently and had a marvelous date.
He had not been impressed by the food on his first visit, for my birthday back in September, but was finally ready to give it another go. This review offers most of his insight.
Here is the post from my dinner with friends back in January. It was such a nice experience that lived up to the hype (at least in my head) that I wanted to share it again....

Foccacia, Olive Oil & Salt starer
Nutshell features salts from nearby At The Meadow.
Thomas chose a volcanic Italian salt, and a Japanese one.

Bamboo fries with dipping sauce
I wasn't wild about the dipping sauce, but the fries were fun.
Thomas, however, was not a fan (again).

The apple of Thomas' eye and appetite this visit - Fuji Apple Salad
with winter beets, preserved marionberries, micro greens, pinenuts & a muscatel vinaigrette
I got to steal a couple bites, and I agree, it was lovely. Look at that plating!

Shot of French Lettuce Soup ($1)

We split the Jamaican BBQ plate - with eggplant, lilies, fried okra, bammy, beans & rice, yam staffed orange, habanero shreds, jerk sauce and the Marley family drink - "something to remember" that had beer and sarsaparilla in it.

This was honestly the only entree that called out to me on the menu or I would chosen something new (especially considering the $10+ prices)


Thomas starting out with a doubleshot of Americano, from local Courier Coffee Roasters
He needed it!

No room for dessert!

In short, yes I recommend Nutshell, and so does Thomas. I think the bill came to $32, for 2.

10 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

wow, Nutshell sounds like a great restaurant!!

the fuji-apple salad and the focaccia are my favorites, in those photographs - and I agree, the plating of the salad is GORGEOUS!!

Karla said...

people shouldn't look that bummed out when they're at Nutshell. :o)

that salad looks so good!

Unknown said...

bamboo...fries??? I am in lust.

Unknown said...

Everything looks delicious!

The Jamaican BBQ plate sounds amazing andI really love how the salad was plated, so beautiful!

Almost Vegetarian said...

Okay, does that Jamaican BBQ plate look tempting or not. I love dishes that have lots of different tastes (yes, I can make a meal our of appetizers)and I adore Jamaican food, so this is a match made in heaven.

Cheers!

erica said...

Aw, Thomas looks so cute in that picture!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I think this is on my list of places to dine in Portland! They menu is unlike anything we have here, so I'm in to it!

Bianca said...

I love all the attention to salts lately. It's making me want to start seeking out different types...and bamboo fries? Yum!

Anonymous said...

Wow Thomas looks OUT OF IT! the plate of fries looks enormous! I don't remember it being that large!

urban vegan said...

Looks scrumptious to me....you lucky Portlanders!

THomas s adorable.