Monday, April 17, 2006

Celebrating tator tots and a Veggie calzone

My dinner this evening - sandwich of mashed avocado, cherry tomatoes, baby spinach, tempeh bacon, vegenaise, dashes of Frank's red hot and Grand Central yukon gold potato bread, grilled on the lil ole George Foreman.
I had this with tator tots (365 brand) and sauteed turnip raab, baby spinach and sundried tomatoes in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic & bragg's. I wish avocado on a sandwich didn't go bad, because half of this sandwich went to
waste : (

And below we have the monstrous vegetarian calzone from Sunday night. There was half a dough ball leftover from my pizza on Saturday, and I had leftover slices to eat but I wanted to use the dough for something. So I asked Thomas if he wanted a real pizza for himself, and he passed and decided on a calzone instead. I think the suggestion of a"giant hot pocket with faux chicken" was too tempting to pass up. Instead of two not so ridiculous sized calzones, I made one large one.
The top of the calzone was folded over with some earth balance & garlic between the dough layers. The filling consisted of homemade chunky tomato sauce, faux chicken nuggets roasted in some braggs, garlic powder & italian herbs, fresh mozzerella and parmesan cheese.gooey monstrosity. Thomas gave it an 8.5, and said that I need to work on it's presentation ; )

13 comments:

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

Mmm... I love calzone--and your sandwich looks great too!

EatPeacePlease said...

I like the 365 tots. They're made with apple juice. I miss them since not using my oven. Are they a standard $1.99 where you are?

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Thanks Amy! I didn't try the calzone but my boyfriend says he wouldn't change a thing.

Leslie - Why yes,1.99! I saw them walking thru WF and they just called out to me..

ellen said...

That avacado sando sounds great-why did the avacado go bad-did it just turn brown?? was it not edible??

Michelle said...

i love a good calzone! it's been ages since i've made any!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

ellen- I simply wasn't hungry enough with all those tator tots and turnip raab to eat the entire sandwich. I had already spread avocado on both sides, so it would have gone bad in the fridge had I saved it.

michelle- make some! enjoy! I don't think I ever really liked them growing up, but I had a good time making it.

vegancore said...

Mmm, tots. Your gigantor calazone looks awesome (if cheesy) as well. :)

Grace said...

Avocado on sandwiches is the best thing in the world. I like mine with cucumbers and sprouts too.

Nancy said...

What an awesome looking sandwich. I haven't tried the 365 tater tots - are they like the Cascadian Farms spud puppies? We love those!

Megan the Vegan said...

I second the motion that avocado sandwiches are the best thing in the world!! I love them with S&P, and a little onion, spinkles with lime juice. I recently tried VwaV tempeh bacon....so good, can't wait to try it with avocado!

JessieGirl said...

Mmmm avodado... I love avocado on my burritos. I haven't yet put it on a sandwich though - I'll have to try it i think i have one in the fridge.

KleoPatra said...

Calzone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeee!

I LOVE CALZONE!

Yours looks so scrumptious, Jess.

Shopping Blog said...

Before finding out about links of london uk watches you should be familiar with some of the terminology. cheap links of london The word horology has two meanings; it is the study or science of measuring time links london jewellery or the art of making clocks, watches, and devices for telling links of london sale time.Since the first appearance of man on the earth an effort has links of london silver been made to determine time.The tracking of the sun's movement across discount links of london the sky, candles that were marked at intervals.Water clocks did links of london bracelet not depend on the observation of the sky or the sun.